Part I: Ecosystems and Nutrient Cycling
Your first assignment is to put together a simple food chain and answer the
I. FOOD CHAINS
frogs/chain_reaction/index.cfm and click on “play the game” to begin.
Answer the questions below:
1. A person is called a
_____________________________________ because they
eat meat & vegetables.
2. Food gives people and animals __________________________________.
3. ________________________ are animals that only eat meat.
4. ________________________ are animals that only eat plants.
1. What animals were in your food chain? Place them in the correct order.
2. What 5 things happen if you take the frog out of the food chain?
II. FOOD WEBS
and choose one of the three food webs. Put the food web together!
Consumers – are living things that need producers to be their food (animals and people)
Producers – living things which take the non living matter from the environment (plants)
Decomposers – living things which feed off of dead plants and animals (bacteria, fungi)
(2) Using the information in the table above answer the following questions about your food
Name a consumer in your food web ____________________________________
Name a producer in your food web _____________________________________
Name a decomposer in your food web ___________________________________
III. NUTRIENT CYCLING
A. Carbon Cycle
Go to http://epa.gov/climatechange/kids/carbon_cycle_version2.html Click and complete scene 1.
(2) Name 2 places on the earth we find carbon:
1. __________________________ 2. ________________________________
(3) Go to http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/earth/Water/co2_cycle.html, read about the carbon cycle and fill in the blanks below:
Plants pull carbon (in the form of carbon dioxide) from the atmosphere to make
a process called ____________________.
Through food chains animals get ____________ from the plants and other animals they eat.
When plants and animals die and ____________, carbon goes back into the ground.
Some carbon is buried deep in the ground and forms _________________ ___________.
When humans burn fossil fuels, ________________ is released back into the atmosphere.
When humans and animals exhale,
they release carbon back into the air by a process called
B. Nitrogen Cycle
Go to the website http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/earth/Life/nitrogen_cycle.html&edu=mid and answer the questions below:
1. What are 2 ways nitrogen becomes useable toplants, humans and animals:
2. How do herbivores obtain the nitrogen they need? _____________
3. How is nitrogen returned to the atmosphere? ________________
4. What are two ways humans impact the nitrogencycle:
Go to http://www.geography4kids.com/files/land_population.html and answer the following questions:
1. What is population ___________________________________________________
2. Two things that increase a population
a. ______________________________ b. ____________________________
3. Two things that decrease a population:
a. _______________________________ b. ____________________________
Go to http://www.nerc.ac.uk/research/issues/biodiversity/ and answer the following questions
1. What is biodiversity ___________________________________________________
2. What is the estimated number of species existing on earth today_____________________
3. How many species have been named(a) and why may this number actually be too high(b)
a. _______________ b. ____________________________________________
4. What is a species_____________________________________________________
5. What are the five main pressures on biodiversity
6. Describe three of the reasons that biodiversity is important
Go to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/About and answer the following questions
Click on Primer, then Bioinfomatics.
1. What is bioinfomatics____________________________________________________
Click on Databases and Tools, then ENTREZ, then Genome Project
2. There are two prokaryotic kingdoms: Archae and Bacteria (Eubacteria). List the four Eukaryotic kingdoms
Click on mammals and write out four scientific names (Genues species) and the associated common names
Part II: Impact of Human Activity on Ecosystems
Choose and read about one of many impacts that humans have on ecosystems from the list below:
Impact of Human Activity on Ecosystems
List two facts you learned about the impact you chose:
Part III: Biomes Around the World
(1) Go to http://mbgnet.mobot.org/ and answer the following questions.
(2) What are the 6 Biomes of the World? ___________,
_______, ___________, ______________, ___________, ___________.
(3) What are the 3 Freshwater Ecosystems and the 3 Marine Ecosystems?
a. Freshwater =
b. Marine =
(4) Click on one of the six biomes. Choose one topic from the left column.
Write 3 sentences describing the information in this topic. Do not copy word for word!
Now click the Green Evaluation Button Below to Continue
Adapted from http://twinsburg.k12.oh.us/schools/Dodge/Ecology%20Webquest/ecology_webquest_task.htm